What are Freckles?
Freckles are clusters of concentrated melanin, the pigment responsible for the color of our skin, hair, and eyes. They are harmless and often appear as flat, light to dark brown spots on sun-exposed areas of the skin, such as the face, arms, and shoulders. Though freckles can develop at any age, they are more commonly seen in fair-skinned individuals.
What are the Types of Freckles?
There are two primary types of freckles:
- Ephelides: These are the most common type of freckles, usually found in individuals with fair skin. Ephelides tend to fade during the winter months and darken with sun exposure.
- Lentigines: Unlike ephelides, lentigines do not lighten or fade with reduced sun exposure. They have a more defined and darker appearance, often associated with aging skin and prolonged sun exposure.
What are the Causes of Freckles?
The primary cause of freckles is genetics. People with a family history of freckles are more likely to develop them. The main contributing factor is exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from sunlight. When the skin is exposed to UV rays, it triggers the production of melanin, resulting in the formation of freckles.
Individuals with fair skin have less melanin to shield against UV radiation, making them more susceptible to freckles. Additionally, those with lighter eyes and hair may also be prone to developing freckles.
Signs & Symptoms of Freckles
Freckles are easy to identify due to their characteristic appearance. The key signs and symptoms include:
- Small, flat spots with varying shades of brown.
- Typically found on sun-exposed areas of the body.
- More prominent during or after sun exposure.
- May darken in color during the summer months.
Treatment for Freckles
At Urban Skin & Hair Clinic, we offer advanced and personalized treatment options to effectively address stretch marks and improve the appearance of your skin:
Dermatologists may prescribe bleaching creams or retinoids containing alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) or hydroquinone to lighten freckles gradually.
At Urban Skin & Hair Clinic, we understand the impact skin conditions like freckles can have on one’s self-confidence. Freckles, though harmless, can be bothersome to some individuals.